[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4670: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4671: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4672: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
TwinCitiesRailfan.com • View topic - BNSF fuel tenders part II
TwinCitiesRailfan.com
It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 4:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:24 pm 

Checking RP.net I noticed a new pic from X whic got me thinking again what is going on with the sudden influx of fuel tenders on the rails. (see pic link) http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=155171

This is what I have. The majority of ex-BN power that where set up for fuel tenders where SD40-2's and where assinged to helper service in the PDRB. Now of the Dash two's again the majority of them where numbered in the 7200 series. The second unit is FURX 7260 ex-BNSF nee BN, could this train infact been running with a "live" fuel tender? My guess is no. I have read the the BNSF tendered 9 million gallons of diesel fuel in March of this year and hench have locked in to a lower rate so more than likley they are transporting fuel from location to location where there is no direct pipe running from a refinery or local delivery by truck is not an option. Any other ideas out there? O' I do like seeing them again it brings back memories of a trip long ago where I first decided that trains where in fact cool :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:39 pm 

I did also get a closer shot of the tender
http://community.webshots.com/photo/548 ... 9290QnBWtx
and I think that proves it was not hooked up to be used in transit. Other then seeing the thing I can't add any more as to why there are more of em, but your thought about moving fuel around sounds plausible

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:43 am 

Yep, there would have been an extra hose on the engineeris side of the locomotive had it been hooked up, not to mention it would not make much sense to feed one unit and not the other.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:16 pm 

Having looked at the closer pic, the tank is for sure loaded. the springs are compress pretty far so it must be full.

I would bet on what MM said about transporting fuel from one place to the other.

do they get off here in MN or do they keep going out west farther??? my buddy in N.D. said diesel is $3.50 a gallon out there so I wonder if it heads out west farther.

Post subject: Fuel moving
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:37 am 

The BN and now the BNSF has always moved fuel to terminals, rather than buying local when the economics dictate. There is a fuel terminal in Rochelle (BP i believe) that always has company tanks loading. These seem to make it onto Chicago originated-NTW (They work Rochelle) and other trains around the system (Galesburg-everywhere). Apparently buying all your fuel close to a pipeline is cheaper.

Not sure about everywhere, but I know they are doing this around here and at Alliance. Some of the fuel tenders with larger capacities made it into the company service pool, and I have seen those with DBUX and BN fuel tankers moving about. It seems that these cars move close to the power as when they are seperated, they go to similar areas of the yard. I suspect as fuel prices get crazy, more tenders may come out of storage and into the pool, if they are around

Just my 2 cents worth

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:51 am 

It's either the Northtown-Pasco and it's counterpart or the Laurel-Galesburg and it's counterpart trains that have alot of company tank cars on it. I've seen BN, BNSF, Santa Fe, and DBUX tank cars on it. And, FWIW, BNSF is no longer using fuel tenders on Crawford Hill. Not sure why, but I know one of the problems with fuel tenders was they where prone to frame problems.

Aaron B.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:07 am 
Site Admin

I saw some of the Santa Fe or BNSF 1993 placarded tankers last night on the H-GALNTW.

My pictures

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:17 pm 

Several good observations and ideas, this is one topic I would not mind being a fly on the wall in the BNSF boardroom for the answer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:39 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 10:59 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:41 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:35 am