[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4670: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4671: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4672: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
TwinCitiesRailfan.com • View topic - No gripe.. A thought...
TwinCitiesRailfan.com
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: No gripe.. A thought...
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 3:06 pm 

What would you think about a general chat section?

There is an amazing resource of folks here that know a ton about the local railfanning scene of which I am not one (but learning...). I think it would be great to have a section to ask questions of folks here about things that were more general but still pertaining to local railfanning and photography. For example, how difficult it is to get a scanner license in Minnesota for use in chasing trains? What are some useful photography techniques for a decent night shot? How do you protect your equipment in the winter? Do you have a bag or backback sugestion you like? What are some good local rail trips to take the family on? Are there some good bike trips that you could see some old railroad history? Things like that about local railfanning and photography but not about specific railroads and trips... I know I could probably find most of this stuff on the web but I think the local aspect makes it much more interesting.

Just something I was thinking about...

Thanks!
~Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:04 pm 

I wouldnt mine having a chat at all. Aaron, how bout it?

Alec 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:13 pm 

I third that motion...... of course there is always the Yahoo Chat room, maybe just make a TC railfan group.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:49 pm 

I've never heard of needing a 4th motion, but here it is. A place to chat would be a good idea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:06 pm 
Site Admin

Funny you should mention that Chris. All the answers are in the book, on sale now for $99.99. Just kidding (I am getting somewhat punchy from all this working).

I have looked into a chat system. I have not implemented one due to several reasons: First, when I did investigate potentially adding one, the number of members here were minimal; along with that, the frequency of posts were light. Technically, I did not like the look or usablity of the chat software I found (for free). I need to be comfortable with it if I am to be responsible for upkeep and running it.

Maybe this is the signal that a chatroom would be worth the time and effort. Let me look into it again.

My pictures

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:38 pm 

Well, maybe we could have meeting times. I mean, there is a very slim chance you could meet up with the specific person if you dont set a time. So have certain times at night or w/e and see who comes.

Alec 8) :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:11 pm 

You'd think, since I do this computer thing for a living, I'd be better at communicating my thoughts!! Maybe it's the Texan in me or something.... What I was really thinking was a forum section that was just a general section. I was thinking somewhere when we could post questions/ideas/thoughts that didn't fall into one of the categories you have already set up. Like your post about the Conductor who spotted the house fire. Or where the best coffee shop is in Hastings when you are railfanning. Things like that.

I don't think a chat system is a bad idea either. Getting everyone online to chat at the same time might be somewhat of a challenge but I think it would be fun. So, maybe we have two ideas?

Now, do you have the ISBN number of that book? Can I get it from Amazon? :lol:

~Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:30 am 
Site Admin

Thanks for the suggestion. I often times had this cross my mind, and I too struggled to find a good subhead to post some things under.

I have created a less than rail related topic area. In an effort to keep some feeling of safety, I did make the 'Where you gonna be?' thread only available to registered users (hidden to general visitors). If you notice abuses or problems with this section - let me know right away!

I will add more sub-sections as they occur to me, but as always suggest away.

Also to note: the chatroom idea will be moved to a back burner, as I have many other ideas I would like to implement on the other side of TCR.com.

My pictures

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:30 pm 

Great idea Arron. I like the additional security precautions.

~Chris