[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4670: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4671: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4672: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
TwinCitiesRailfan.com • View topic - Power south of Koch Refinery
TwinCitiesRailfan.com
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:16 pm 
Site Admin

Heading down to a pumpkin farm in Coates, I saw the small yard of tank cars south of the refinery and north of Co Rd 42. What surprised me was the power sitting on the far end. Due to the distance from MN 52, it was difficult to see exactly what was there. What I did see was a CP AC44, one or two SD40-2s or SD60s, and a green on silver FURX SD40-2 (30xx).

Is that typical power for deliveries or pick-ups there?

My pictures

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:26 pm 

I believe that's the power for the Coke trains that head over to the INRD.
http://goldeneye98.rrpicturearchives.ne ... id=1170124

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:28 pm 
Site Admin

That would make sense. Never put that together. So the power detaches and waits for the coke to be dumped? I've seen a few videos on the PRB coal ops and assumed that is how all hopper trains are emptied. Can anyone describe the set up there?

My pictures

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:33 pm 
Site Admin

Well, well, well. Here are two of the 3 or 4 locos I saw a day later...

My pictures

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:11 am 

Empty cars go to the refinery.. spot half a train at a time for loading.. when it is loaded they put the train together.. call an outbound and off they go.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:08 pm 

be cautious of taking pics around there. there are signs on the fences saying " taking pictures of this property or equipment is prohibited" and that is as good as a no trespassing sign legal wise. so just be carefull.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:33 pm 

As long as you're on public property, you are allowed by law to take photographs of anything. There are exceptions, but a coke refinery is not one them.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:16 am 

that is correct UNLESS there are signs stating that taking photos of this proprety is illegal.

Just like it is legal to walk anywhere unless there is a no trespassing sign.

Last time I was down there on the west side of the refinery the fence had signs saying you cant take pics, I was going to take a pic of the sign but a cop just happened to be coming up the road behind me....... :(

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:37 am 

As it goes for no the "No taking pictures" signs. They might be good for the refinnery but not for the RR equipment. The Railroads and therefor their equipment are on their own property, not on Koch's. I would recommend that people use the sites avilable from the counties where you can see who owns what when ever you go out. I have heard the stories on people being kicked out of down by pigs eye and such. Having the info at hand is nice. In this area the old CGW main and yard are ok to photgraph. The line into the plant is another question but to get there you would have to go on RR property.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:01 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:56 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:45 pm 

Why push it! There are plenty of other places to go. I don't know about most of you, but I don't death wish to piss off the police or any other land owners. Just because it's not posted, doesn't mean you can be there. How many of you have your yards posted, but I doubt you want anyone in your backyards.
I think the last place you want is your name on anybody's list as trouble. Start talking like a lawyer..and you'll need one.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:53 pm 

I was down there last spring trying to take pics of switching out tank cars. I was parked in a public lot, and was standing on the shoulder of the road well away from the tracks and fence. I was approached by representatives of the refinery AND security and told that not only could i not take pics, I had to leave and not watch them at work as well.

"homeland security" and all...

I guess they figure a middle aged white guy with grey hair posed a security threat of the highest order?

no hard feelings, and I left right away.

now i think i will hide out in the bushes nearby, with camo and a telephoto lens, and get pix. Much less suspicious looking :lol:

whatever

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:56 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:27 pm