[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4670: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4671: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4672: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
TwinCitiesRailfan.com • View topic - SD40-2Fs
TwinCitiesRailfan.com
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: SD40-2Fs
PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:24 pm 
Site Admin

Was it a rogue unit I saw sitting on the Hwy 100 overpass today? CP 9015, second unit behind an AC44, appeared to be heading west out of Humboldt. Last I heard, just over one year ago, these units were castigated to roam America Jr. (Canada, Eh?)... supposedly, enviro laws made them unfit in the US.

My pictures

Post subject: Re: SD40-2Fs
PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:41 am 

I have serviced a few at the service island but they are rare down here :)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:22 pm 

You're thinking of the SD9043MACs, those are the 'outlaw' units. The SD40-2Fs are quite rare now though.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:17 pm 

I never really minded them. They are about the easiest locomotives to B/O.... I think they are regarded as train only. I actually liked them in the winter... always stayed nice and warm... problem is that they do the same thing in the summer :-/

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:50 pm 

I still remember working the wayfreight to Glenwood and back with Mike B. years ago....we stopped in Buffalo with an ole redbarn in the lead. walked to the gas station there and on the walk back the DS told us to tie it down on the main, the cab was on the way. I think that was the last time I was on the Paynesville sub.....

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:58 pm 

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:18 pm 

I have no idea why, but the SD40-2Fs have stayed in Canada for almost a year and a half, with the exception of one or perhaps two interlopers. However, the 9015 is always trailing whenever I see it. I've seen photos of trios of them running around Ontario - wish they would come here at least periodically.

Three red barns, two SD40-2s and a Geep were involved in a derailment in Oshawa, ON last June 7. Two of the red barns (9000 and 9001) are still sitting on a siding in Oshawa, one of them with apparent minor fire damage.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:15 am 

They are not "trail only" in the computer system. It is more so the fact that they know no one wants them. On the subject, a GE with a camera/AC is first, GE with camera second, GE with AC third, and just a GE forth. When it comes to the order of what unit will lead. I was always told spartan cab will always lead rather then a wide body on the SD60s also. I always liked that I could go smoke a cig in engine room when I was a conductor and my engineer would not let me smoke in the cab on those dash 2 Fs.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:16 am 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:42 am 

I can't remember what the unit number was.. but one of the 9000 series got an air ride seat put in, on the engineers side at least. Kinda like the ones some of the 40s have, remember Mikey? That made it a little better, I still prefer a 60 or 40 any way, that way I can put my feet up on the heater. Desktop controls are just such a pain to work with, and uncomfortable. At least all the GEVOs have control stands... except for the fist 30(?).

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:51 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:25 am 

did the SD40-2F's have the two seats on the conductors side that were both facing forward and they didn't swivel or was that just the 60M's?

I remember sitting in Payensville one nite and I went back to the second unit for a nap and it had two ratty looking seats and I thought this would suck to have for a three man crew and sure enough a few days later it was on the point......

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:55 pm 

I don't remember how the seats were arranged in the SD40-2Fs or SD60Ms. If they were behind one another on the Fs the front one didn't swivel because I remember thinking I would rather have a SD40-2 for that very reason.

I didn't get into SD60Ms very often. The only thing I remember is being in one at the roundhouse in St. Paul and I thought it was pretty comfortable but my opinion could easily have changed if I had been in it longer. No one has to worry about it anymore, all SOO Line SD60Ms are stored.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:35 am 

sd60m,s are back in service soo 6062 left fully operatoinal on train 280 tonight

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:55 am 

That's great news! Word is that traffic levels on CP are above 2008 right now. It appears the SOO 5069 will soon follow. Shawn Christie got a photo of it trailing on 490 on RP.