TwinCitiesRailfan.com
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 3:54 pm 

cp eastbound mixed has been sitting on the St Paul river line just outside Pigs Eye N for almost 4 days....idling...anyone know why?
the 2 head end units are just about even with SPUD, and there are 8 ot 10 Cryo Trans reefers in the consist. (love the way the Cryo Trans names there cars!)

i would imagine the fridge units on those reefers would be runnin out of fuel?

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 3:55 pm 

im sorry, i meant westbound :oops:

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 6:16 am 

Per my source at BNSF, at least one of CP's Canadian Unions is on strike. This is causing disruptions system wide. On Friday while listening to the scanners I could hear the dispatcher talking about being short on crews as well. I'm sure they are trying to keep their stack trains and unit moving and are letting some manifests sit right now.

I'm thinkning the reefers are MTY. Otherwise they just send out a truck to refuel them in place.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 3:48 pm 

Thanks Karl

a strike huh? :( it must have happened while they were waiting to proceed across the diamonds to the robert st lift bridge.??

yeah if its all mtys it would have a low priority

whats odd though is that the units are still idiling. i work right across the river and when i go out to my car i can here the valves popping etc.

waht happens if they shut em down? does it take too long to start em back up? or they prolly have to go and set the brakes on some of the cars?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:37 am 

CP often runs the crews till they go dead on hours. If there is no replacement crew available, the train sits wherever it may be. Starting the engine doesn't take that long, it's the brake tests and visual train inspection that are the time consuming parts.